Workplace Wellness Insights: Don’t Let Spring Allergies Bring You Down!
Each month, we send out our RK Healthy Workforce wellness newsletter. In it, we provide health and wellness tips for your work and life. The first day of spring is on March 20. Whether the temperatures here in the Northeast match up with the calendar dates is yet to be determined.
Unfortunately, however, with spring comes allergy season; more than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies every year. In particular, springtime allergies are an annual nuisance for many people. As plants begin to bloom and neighbors start to cut their grass more frequently, allergy sufferers nationwide start sniffling and sneezing. What’s more, mold growth blooms both indoors and outdoors, making it almost impossible to escape allergy triggers. But don’t let spring allergies bring you down!
There are a few spring allergy alleviation tips we’d like to share from our RK Healthy Workforce wellness newsletter. To reduce your allergies, be sure to take the following steps:
- Wash your bedding every week in hot water to help keep pollen under control.
- Wash your hair before going to bed, since pollen can accumulate in your hair.
- Limit the number of throw rugs in your home to reduce dust and mold.
- Wear an inexpensive painter’s mask and gloves when cleaning, vacuuming or painting to limit skin exposure and dust and chemical inhalation.
- Vacuum twice a week.
- Make sure the rugs you have are washable.
- Change air conditioning and heating air filters often.
Treatment for most allergies is available both over-the-counter and by prescription. Talk to your doctor to find out what treatment method is right for you. If your allergy symptoms are severe or chronic, you may need a series of allergy shots. Contact your physician or allergist to determine which treatment option is best for you.
Our monthly wellness newsletter also provides healthy recipes, seasonal tips and other valuable resources. In March, other topics include:
- Your Body May Need a Break, Here’s Why
- 2 Ways to Make the Most of Your Rest Day
- Strengthen Your Financial Wellness Plan with These 3 Tips
- Veggie Chow Mein
If you would like to receive this newsletter in your email each month, contact your R&K client manager. Also, check back with us next month for more workplace wellness insights.